What is SHARP?

SHARP (Self Help and Referral Program) is a Self Help center that provides general assistance to people who do not have attorneys. Assistance is provided in the areas of family law, guardianships, evictions, small claims, name changes, guardianship, and restraining orders.

This program provides assistance to all parties in a case; SHARP assistance providers, although operating under the supervision of an attorney, do not give legal advice. They provide help with forms, legal information and education, NOT legal strategy and/or advice. Program staff will provide information about procedure, substantive law and choices that litigants may have, allowing people to make informed decisions about their case.

Where are the SHARP offices located?

SHARP offices are open from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Tuesday through Friday and on Monday from 8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. at the following locations:

Oroville SHARP FacilityChico SHARP Facility
1 Court Street1775 Concord Avenue
Oroville, CA 95965Chico, CA 95928
View Map

View Map

(530) 532-7015

(530) 532-7024

Hours: 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.Hours: 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Monday - Friday Monday - Friday

What types of services are available at SHARP?

  • Workshops (by appointment):

    Workshop TypeDescription of Information CoveredForm Packet Needed
    (available at courthouses)
    Dissolution of Marriage or Domestic Partnership
    • Divorce
    • Legal Separation
    • Summary Dissolution
    • Annulment
    Disso I Workshop
    To prepare to file for divorce, legal separation or annulment

    Disso II Workshop
    For litigants who have already filed or been served a petition and are progressing through the dissolution process

    Summary Dissolution
    For litigants who have been married less than 5 years, have no children, and have limited debts and assets.
    Disso I Workshop: Dissolution or Response Forms

    Summary Dissolution Workshop: Summary Dissolution
    Parentage and Custody/Support Establish parentage, open a child custody/support case; calculate child support, or respond to a Parentage or Custody/Support case Parentage or

    Petition to Establish Custody and Support or Response Forms
    Modification of:

    • Child Custody
    • Child Support
    • Spousal Support
    Establish or modify orders (custody, visitation, support, etc.) in any already existing Family Law case; calculate child support, or to respond to a Request for Orders Request for Orders or

    Response Forms
    Response to Department of Child Support Services Case All DCSS issues, cases, responses, support modifications, health care and child care orders Forms included in documents from DCSS or available from DCSS
    Guardianship General guardianships of minors only (no conservatorships or estates); SHARP cannot assist in cases in which Juvenile Dependency Court or Child Protective Services has an open case Guardianship or

    Response Forms
    Unlawful Detainers and Responses Unlawful Detainers and Responses Unlawful Detainer or

    Response Forms
    Restraining Orders Domestic Violence

    Civil Harassment

    Elder Abuse
    Domestic Violence Restraining Order

    Civil Harassment Restraining Order

    Elder Abuse Restraining Order

    or Response Forms
    Small Claims (limited) SHARP assists only with the initial filing; call Small Claims Advisor for additional help Small Claims
    Small Claims Adult or child name changes Name Change
    Expungements Expungements Expungement

  • Self-Help Publications – covering various areas of law are available for public use while visiting the Self-Help Information Center. Subjects include divorce, grandparent rights, landlord rights, tenant rights, small claims and other topics.

  • Information Sheets – providing general and specific information on a variety of topics are also available.
Is there a fee for using the Self-Help Information Centers?

There is no fee for any assistance provided. However, you may need to pay for copies, and court filing fees at the Clerk's office.

Individual legal forms are available at SHARP. Complete Form packets are available at each courthouse.